Audio for this article is not available at this time.
This translation has been automatically generated and has not been verified for accuracy. Full Disclaimer
Open this photo in gallery
A computer screenshot of social media site Parler shows a post from the company's official account as thousands of new users who said they were from Saudi Arabia joined the site, previously used mostly by supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump, taken June 12, 2019.
Owners of the two biggest mobile app stores took action on Friday against the Parer social networking service because of posts inciting violence, with Alphabet Incs Google removing it and Apple Inc warning it may do the same.
Google said the app favored by many supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump must demonstrate robust content moderation if it wants to get back in the store. Apple gave the service 24 hours to submit a detailed moderation plan, pointing to participants using the service to coordinate Wednesdays siege of the U.S. Capitol building.
The actions by the two Silicon Valley companies mean that the network seen as a haven for people expelled from Twitter could become unavailable for new downloads on the worlds main mobile phone app stores within a day. It would still be available in mobile browsers.
Story continues below advertisement
Parler Chief Executive John Matze said in posts on his service on Friday that Apple was applying standards to Parler that it did not apply to itself and the companies were attacking civil liberties. He added in a text message to Reuters, Coordinating riots, violence and rebellions has no place on social media.
Right-leaning social media users in the United States have flocked to Parler, messaging app Telegram and hands-off social site Gab, citing the more aggressive policing of political comments on mainstream platforms such as Twitter Inc and Facebook Inc. Twitter permanently suspended President Trumps account on Friday.